Sunday, November 23, 2008

16 miles in two days!

It's amazing!
Gliding in the water on a crisp fall morning, everything is still and available to the eyes. I'm kayaking down the Nunez's River in Corpus Christie, Texas with two expert kayakers. Kenneth Johnson, my teacher and mentor is opening a new door for me. Apparently he is the pide piper for many newbie kayakers who come to him for instructions or a look see into a sport that seems exotic and difficult to learn.
"You'll drown girl, turning upside down", my friends said. "Those things are hard to balance!"
Well...gosh gee whiz, I guess I've finally found my sport. I took to it quickly and amazingly quite easily....don't get me wrong, I've yet to do an turn over but I'm not afraid for that to come! Kenneth is so positive and patience with all his students. He seems to have a huge female success rate which I can understand quite well. He's comfortable and kind! So rare to find someone of pure motives to promote the sport in a humble empowering way...a girl can't help but rise to the occasion.
Life is good!

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

You amaze me because you're often fearless. What a wonderful approach to life.

Shara said...

Hey Suzanne,
Thanks for the vote of confidence but I think I'm just naturally curious...alot like those sweet kittens of yours. Sometimes I get more than I bargained for!